When booking shipments through the Temando System, customers have the option of taking Goods-in-Transit Insurance cover for most goods on transit within Australia. This cover can be included for a nominal fee based on quoted freight cost and declared item value combined - a small price to pay for your peace of mind.
The ‘Parcel Protect’ insurance is provided by QBE.
Key features include:
- Cover for your goods for accidental loss or damage during transit
- Cover commences from the time your goods are entrusted into the care of a carrier for the purpose of transporting those goods to the destination
- Cover continues until those goods are accepted at the delivery address, or if there is nobody at the delivery address to accept the delivery, cover is provided for 24 hours after the carrier leaves the goods insured at the delivery address
- Cover is available for shipments from anywhere in Australia to anywhere in Australia
- You can insure your goods for up to a value of $25,000 (you will be asked for proof of value e.g. commercial/tax invoices if you make a claim)
- Most types of general goods can be insured. E.g. clothes, books, shoes, stationery, magazines, sporting equipment, electronic equipment. Some goods are not covered and are listed in the "QBE Parcel Protect PDS and Marine Insurance Wording"
- Where you nominate your goods to be delivered to a designated collection point agent, cover is provided for 24 hours after the carrier leaves the goods at the agents address
View the insurance Product Disclosure Statement.
Please see the insurance terms and conditions for the comprehensive fee structure when you make your next booking. Alternatively, please contact us for further details.
Please note that the following shipments are not covered by this insurance arrangement, however we would encourage you to contact Access Underwriting Management on 1300 563 099 if you wish to seek specific advice about options available for coverage of your goods in transit:
- Goods valued over $25,000.
- Bulk transport of home contents (when you are moving home)
- Other bulk shipments
- Overseas shipments
It is important to be aware of the following requirements when making claims under the new QBE policy:
You have up to 3 days from the time of receiving your insured goods to report damage. If you notice at the time of receiving the goods that they are damaged, please ensure you write the following on the delivery docket at the time of delivery "Package received damaged". Please also ensure this is co-signed by the carrier who delivered your goods.
If you notice damage to your insured goods after the carrier has left, you have up to 3 days from the time of receiving your insured goods to report damage.
If nobody is at the delivery address to accept the delivery, cover is provided for 24 hours after the carrier leaves the insured goods at the delivery address. If you notice damage to your insured goods, and provided you have collected the goods within the 24 hour period granted, you have up to 3 days from the time of collecting your insured goods to report damage.
Notifications of loss or damage outside of the 3-day notification period may affect our ability to settle this claim.
Please note that this analysis is not exhaustive. Reference should be made to the policy wording. It is very important to read the Product Disclosure Statement and the Policy Wording to ensure that our Policy is suitable for your requirements. The Terms, Conditions and Exclusions can be found in the Policy Wording.
If your goods have been damaged or lost in transit and you selected insurance as an option when making the booking, go to contact us and select 'Insurance Claim' from the drop down tab.
The issuer of this product is QBE Insurance Limited ABN 78 003 191 035 AFSL 239545. This product is distributed by Temando Pty Ltd as an Authorised Representative CAR: 445283 of Access Underwriting Management Pty Ltd ABN 38 119 008 301 AFSL 306931. We provide general advice only and do not take into account your personal circumstances. You should read the Product Disclosure Statement before deciding to buy marine transit insurance.